Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm a Vampire (though this blog has nothing to do with that)

Do loud breathers know they’re breathing loud? There’s this dude that sits next to me in class sometimes who breathes like a freaking snow blower. Either he’s got inhumanly small nostrils, or it’s booger city up there. I think he should just consider breathing through his mouth from now on.

On a completely unrelated note...I’m really bored. For some reason when you have an extraordinary summer, and return to the sullen and pitiful urban landscape we like to call Calgary, everything seems really boring. And lame. And you spend your nights eating tiny Halloween chocolates, watching Party of 5, and thinking about how you can really relate to the characters. Sometimes you leave the house only to discover that your distaste for the city and its people is still there, and then you run back inside your apartment and begin reading one of the 3 novels you have on the go. That’s right, 3! They’re all collections of work, like essays, or short stories, so none really have a narrative sequence that needs your constant attention. What was I talking about? Oh, right, boredom. So yeah, my life is fairly boring right now. I’m thinking though that this is just one of those recessions in life...much like in economics. You can’t always be in a period of boom and prosperity; sometimes you have to recess. Is it boom and recession? No, it’s boom and bust right? But there’s gotta be another word for boom...?

Maybe I’ll write a self help book, something like “The booms and busts of life: understanding the rough times using simple economics.” It’s destined to be a best seller.

ANYWAYS. I thought I’d tell a story about a simpler time. I was talking to a certain friend today, and he reminded me of all the crazy shit I did as a teen. That’s right, I was once a rebellious, no-holds-barred, unruly teenage. My friend’s mom use to say we were “rebels without a clue.” You know, instead of “rebels without a cause.” – right – anyways, she was completely accurate; we were without a fucking clue. One night, after watching a lot of CKY and jackass, we decided it would be a great idea to play “fire in the hole.” Now the object of the game is to order a “litre of cola” at your local McDonalds drive thru and then upon receiving said “litre of cola” you throw it back in the window and then drive away…not too abruptly though, you need to ensure you see the pain on the face of the drive-thru worker. Oh, and you also have to scream, “FIRE IN THE HOLE” whilst chucking the cola through the window.

I always felt really bad, and was never the one to do the actual throwing, because I just knew that woman in the McDonalds window was working minimum wage just to put food on the table for her infant son, who had alzheimer's and whose father was wrongly convicted for stealing a television and is now serving 10 years in prison. We only managed to successfully do it once, and we watched in slow motion as the extra large coke flew through the window, and the small acne ridden worker looked down at the cup and then up at us with a look of sheer horror, and dismay, and probably thought “NO GOD! WHY! THAT LIMITED EDITION POKEMON JUST ISN’T WORTH THIS GRIEF!” We laughed for a good few days about it, but deep down we were all ridden with guilt. We never admitted it though, because, well, we were way too friggin cool for that shit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AH I KNOW! Today in my intro to canadian politics class some guy (Whose computer login screen said "James") sat down beside me. He then proceded to play tetris and breath loudly for the entire lecture. I mean seriously, if you're going to come to class just to play tetris... fine. But if you're not going to learn anything AND annoy the crap out of me then go home!

emily said...

another favorite mcdonalds pastime of mine is to try to order drive-thru in a bike gang. they won't have any of it, and strictly enforce service only to car people. we then proceed to bike past the lonely person working the window at 3 am and flip them the bird. zing!

emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.