Sunday, October 5, 2008

This is as political as i'm going to get.

This morning at work, for some reason, I was reading the Calgary Sun. I was bored OK! Anyways, I stumbled across this article with the title “Thanks for not voting: Some young people doing us a huge favour.” The beginning of the article starts talking about voter apathy in 18 to 24 year olds, and presents some stats…blah blah…then, the author goes on to say “that last thing we want in this country is young people voting.” No, no, just wait, it gets better.

“While most people in that age range have recently managed to free themselves of certain myths – I’m special, a man in a red suit brings me presents at Christmas, the Jonas Brothers rock – they are still, by and large, unsophisticated cement heads”

Alright! Fine! You caught me! I like the Jonas Brothers! I have a terrible weakness for brother pop trios! But that’s beside the point! Now, I will agree that there are a lot of “cement head” 18 to 24 year olds out there that act like raging dickheads and don’t know the first thing about politics or what is good for our country, let alone themselves…but there’s a vast population of young people out there who actually know what’s going on, and care. I care. I’ve voted in every election since I turned 18. (this is me gloating) Frankly it was a big step in my life that first time I went out to the polls. I’m surprised my family didn’t buy me a dairy queen cake to celebrate the occasion.

Here are more quotes from the article:

“They’re fresh out of school and have been raised in a culture that replaced such outmoded values as Duty, Honour, Country with Recycling, Diversity, Hugging”

“Frankly, If young people find the Canadian voting process intimidating, we’ve got a bigger problem here than voter turnout…we’ve got a generation of giant wussies on our hands and the only solution might be to round them up at gunpoint and run them through boot camp or something”


“If young people are wondering why they don’t like their government, it’s simple. Because I vote. And you don’t”

I officially have all the answers I've ever needed, thanks mr. sun journalist.

But on another note, this video is pretty funny...

No comments: